Kellie's Castle & The Temple

Kellie's Castle is a mysterious mansion surrounded by river some kilometers out of Batu Gajah, commissioned in 1915 by a late Scottish Planter named William Kellie Smith. Smith left for England in the middle of the construction of the castle and dies soon after in England. The castle was thus never completed and stands today as an unfinished mansion. It has 14 rooms and a tall tower. The Castle is shrouded in mystery and it is widely believed that it has hidden rooms and a secret tunnel.




Smith also built a temple for a Hindu Goddess not too far away from the castle. As he was so fond of the Goddess that he wanted to have built a statue of him beside her. Therefore a statue of a white man can be seen on the roof of temple today, alongside statues of Hindu gods and goddesses. During a road widening exercise, road construction workers accidentally unearthed a section of a tunnel which is believed to lead from the castle to the Hindu temple nearby.






2 comments to "Kellie's Castle & The Temple"

Post a Comment

Flickr Gallery


Puvanan Nadaraja


I'm an Engineer by profession.I love traveling and I exercise photography as a creative art. The magic of photography has not only intrigued me, but the translation from what meets the eyes to a click of the shutter to a digital reality has always amazed me. It makes me to see the world rather than just look at it. In my life, I'm the camera, my eyes are the shutters. What I absorb through them is what I paint and it's me that is mixing the colours. And, this very blog is simply my canvas.